Thursday, January 14, 2010

Try


photograph by Sebastiao Salgado

"The eyes are the windows to the soul."

I think that's how the adage goes.

How much truth is there to it?

Look at this picture. Look into their windows.
Can you see their souls?

There is a strain of sorrow that's a stranger to me. It sleeps with them.
There is fear. Like they walk with ghosts.
There is pain and distrust.
There is unspoken perseverance and a tinge of majesty.
There are scars and wounds and death and disease and hunger.

They are tired. They are tired. They are so tired.

There is anger and confusion. The kind that makes people blind. 
It makes them see.

Most of all there is memory.
It is thick and saturated like a hovering storm.
I don't know what they remember. But it's there.
There is memory.

These are the souls of refugees. Where are they going? Do we know?
Do they?

This is one of a series of photos taken by Sebastiao Salgado of refugees from all over the world that he published in his book Migrations: Humanity in Transition.

I want to try to look into their souls. I want to try to understand who they are. And I want you to try with me.

Salgado, Sebastiao. Photograph. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. New York: Aperture, 2000. 198.

5 comments:

  1. This is very impressive. Your words allow us to get a glimpse of what they feel. There is so much emotion in this photograph, and you definitely hit the spot. I love how you mention the memory, how you describe it as "thick and saturated like a hovering storm". The memories these people must have along with the uncertainty of the future is what this picture shows. There of course would be current pain and fatigue from travel, but I'm sure the worst of it would be those two concepts- the past and the future. Very good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you have put words to this seemingly undescribable photograph. There is so much beyond these people's expressionless faces. Although the photograph does much to show us the sadness and heartbreak of their condition, your choice of words has stirred an even deeper emotion. It has helped me to try and relate to these people, and even though I can never even imagine the thoughts and feelings they were having, I feel like I have connected in some small way with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When looking in Salgado's book, this was one of my absolute favorite pictures. I am very influenced by emotion. I love the portrayal of this photograph, capturing the feelings of many individuals. Your words complimented the picture so well. I am very impressed! I read it a few times to be honest with you."The eyes are the window to the soul." What a way to start such an adventure. You then went into great deal expressing the reality of the situation. You are very wise in how you went about describing this new project and task to encourage others to get excited. Keep up the great work. I really enjoy your writing and photograph selection. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this. I can tell you put a lot of thought into this post. I really like the photograph you used as well. I feel like you related your text with the photograph very well and it touched me to read what you wrote while glancing up at these people's faces. You truly can see into their souls and their is so much heart ache and pain there. You also did an awesome job in describing what you were doing and why and then extending the invitation to others to join you. I'm excited to read more of your posts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete